Vedika Jain - Hustle your way into VC, picking your boss, from Stripe to Weekend Fund, and More
February 11th, 2020
35 mins 12 secs
About this Episode
Vedika Jain (@vedikaja_in) is an investor and Chief of staff at Weekend Fund, an early stage venture capital fund that is backing your next favorite thing. Previously she worked for high profile startups like Stripe and True Layer.
Weekend Fund was started in 2017 by Ryan Hoover, the founder of Product Hunt (an amazing site to discover new products. Product Hunt was acquired in 2016 by AngelList). While Ryan and Vedika invest broadly, they are particularly excited about distributed/remote working, audio/voice technology, and tools for creators/makers. The fund invests in early stage startups with check sizes ranging from $75K to $200K. Limited partners of the fund include high profile venture capitalists Marc Andreessen, Chris Dixon, Ben Rubin, Chris Sacca, Hunter Walk, Kevin Rose, Garry Tan, and others.
Vedika has a really interesting background story and approach how she made her way into "the wonderful world of venture capital". In this episode you will hear about her tactics how she got into VC and general career advice for picking the right companies & startups to work for. In addition, you will learn more about Weekend Fund, Vedika’s favorite books & blogs, and much more!
Please follow me on Instagram, Twitter, and my Website, where I post new episodes, share interesting articles I found, and blog occasionally about cool startups! Sign-up for the mailing list to stay in the loop!
- 03:48 -- Who is Vedika & Intro
- 04:55 -- How Vedika became fascinated with technology and startup investing
- 07:08 -- How Vedika joined two fast growing tech startups - Stripe and True Layer
- 09:45 -- Vedika’s lessons learnt for picking your first jobs / companies
- 13:00 -- Writing personal investment memos and how to "hustle" your way into Venture Capital
- 18:05 -- Vedika’s investment areas and future trends
- 20:57 -- How Vedika met Ryan Hoover and joined Weekend Fund
- 22:35 -- Starting your own fund vs. joining an existing VC
- 25:16 -- Introduction to Weekend Fund
- 28:16 -- Favorite books and resources for aspiring VCs
- 30:41 -- Vedika’s favorite non-entrepreneurship related books
- 32:07 -- Most worthwhile investment of Vedika
If you're enjoying the podcast, the best way to support the show is by leaving a review on Apple Podcast or in your favorite podcast app.Support Leap Takers
- Weekend Fund
- Ryan Hoover - Startups, Product, Personal Growth
- Union Square Ventures (USV)
- TrueLayer | Powering the new era of financial innovation
- Stripe - Online payment processing for internet businesses
- Patrick Collison
- Retool: Build internal tools fast
- Andreessen Horowitz - a16z
- The Passion Economy and the Future of Work
- Harry Stebbings (@HarryStebbings)
- The Twenty Minute VC - Venture Capital, Startup Funding, The Pitch
- Product Hunt – The best new products in tech.
- Venture Funds | AngelList
- First Round Review
- Monday Musings by David Perell
- Morgan Housel · Collaborative Fund
- How To Be Successful - Sam Altman
- When Breath Becomes Air: Paul Kalanithi, Abraham Verghese
- Looking for Alaska: John Green
- Turtles All the Way Down: John Green